I’ve already made meat jiaozi, so I thought I would do something for my vegetarian readers. I also really like the fried jiaozi from my local food street, so I wanted to make my own. This isn’t exactly the same as other vegetarian jiaozi, but it’s similar. I just added the tofu and chili to make it more hearty and protein-y.
The Recipe (10 jiaozi per person)
Difficulty: Not too difficult, but takes time to dice everything up real tiny-like
Tastiness: Really Good
What you need:
- 1 large scallion, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, diced
- 1/3 head of green cabbage, diced
- 1 green chili, diced
- ¼ lb tofu, diced
- Soy sauce, salt, pepper (to taste)
- Jiaozi wrappers
- Peanut or canola oil
- Lajiao and dark vinegar for dipping
- Mix everything together.
- Put filling into jiaozi wrappers and seal.
- Boil until dumplings float.
- Stir-fry, alternating lid on and off every few minutes, until crispy.